Contest Communication Chair
Thank you for your interest in attending the Midwest’s largest model contest and swap meet. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
For questions or unique needs/requests, we ask that you contact us utilizing the email below. We will do our best to consider your requests, however, there are NO guarantees.
Saturday, April 15, 2023
9:00am – 4:00pm ET
Hotel Information TBD
Online ticket sales will end on 4/12/2023 at 11:30am.
*You may enter multiple models in multiple categories for one ticket price. Your model entry ticket also serves as your attendee ticket to the show.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellations made 3 days or more in advance of the event date will receive a 100% refund. If the cancellation is less than 3 days in advance of the event date, we will be unable to provide a refund.
To request a refund, please email email@example.com.
When you purchase your ticket from IPMS Roscoe Turner event you agree to these terms.
Welcome Contest Exhibitors
Hello and welcome to the Indy Invitational Model Contest and Swap Meet hosted by the IPMS Roscoe Turner Model Club. Our one-day modeling event is the largest in the Midwest and is one that regularly sees participants and vendors coming from across the United States. Our 2022 event included 120 vendor tables, with over 700 models entered into the contest.
We hope you will consider entering your models into our contest. Our flat $10 fee allows for an unlimited number of kits to be entered in over 60 unique categories. We strongly suggest you consider utilizing our online entry form located on the left side of this page, to allow you to process through contest check-in more quickly on the day of the event. This form has been configured as a Fillable Form PDF that allows you to type in your data online, print the page, and repeat for multiple kit entries. If you have questions about the online entry form, our judging protocols or the contest categories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking to improve your modeling skills, want to know more about what makes a model stand out, or maybe you’d just like more time to look at the entries? If so, please consider joining us as one of our many judges. Our three person judging teams will guide you through the process and explain how to judge entries based on basic modeling skills. In appreciation, we offer all judges a complimentary flashlight as well as lunch served by the Boone County Pork Producers. Join us!
Still looking for a reason to attend? Our 24,000+ sq-ft facility includes separate halls for both vendors and the model contest area. We also offer an adjacent area for breakfast and lunch concessions from the Boone County Pork Producers.
Additional information/contest entry forms to help you plan for our event are shown below.
Ample spaces on-site
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
Onsite food available from Boone County Pork Producers
LARGE RAFFLE AREA
Every patron receives one FREE raffle ticket
I – AIRCRAFT
1. 1/100 and smaller
2. Biplanes & Rigged A/C
3. Single Engine Prop, 1/72
4. Single Engine Prop, 1/48
5. Multi-Engine Prop, 1/72
6. Multi-Engine Prop, 1/48
7. Jet Aircraft, 1/72
8. Jet Aircraft, 1/48
9. Aircraft, 1/32 and Larger
10. Rotary Wings
11. Civil, Sport, Racing & Airliners
12. “What-If” & Hypothetical Aircraft
13. Major Conversions & Scratchbuilts
14. Out of the Box
II – MILITARY VEHICLES
20. All AFV’s, 1/48 and Smaller
21. AFV’s, 1/35 & Larger, 1945 & Earlier
22. AFV’s, 1/35 & Larger, 1945 & Later
23. Armored Cars, Halftracks & Soft Skin Vehicles
24. Ordnance, (incl. Towed Weapons & Missiles)
25. “What-If” & Hypothetical Military Vehicles
26. Major Conversions & Scratchbuilts
27. Out of the Box
III – FIGURES
30. Single, Real to life, 89mm & Smaller
31. Single, Real to life, 90mm & Larger
33. Fantasy, & Science Fiction
34. Animal/Creature, Others
35. Major Conversions & Scratchbuilts
IV – AUTOMOTIVE
40. Replica, Factory Stock, Auto or Light Truck
41. Street Rods and Customs, 1949 and Older
42. Street Machines and Customs, 1950 and Newer
43. Curbside & Slammers
44. Trucks, Commercial, Emergency, Utility Equip.
45. Competition Drag
46. Competition Open wheel
47. Competition Closed Wheel
49. Out of the Box
V – SHIPS
50. Surface Vessels/Sail & Oar Powered
51. Surface Vessels/Mechanical Powered
VI – SPACE, SCI-FI, FANTASY VEHICLES
60. Real Life Rockets and Spacecraft, etc.
61. Fictitious Rockets and Spacecraft, etc.
63. Other Mecha & Robots
VII – DIORAMAS
71. Armor & Military Vehicles
73. Figures (2 or more figures)
VIII – JUNIORS
81. Military Vehicles
82. Civilian Vehicles
83. Figures & Creatures
84. Space/Sci-fi/Fantasy Vehicles
85. Other Subjects
IX – YOUTH
91. Ground Vehicles
92. Figures/Creatures, & Others
X – Miscellaneous
100. Collections, Paper Models, All Others
2022 Contest Special Awards
Best Indianapolis 500 Themed Entry
Best WWII Japanese Entry
1. The contest is open to all modelers. Membership in IPMS/USA is not a requirement.
2. Judging shall be conducted using the guidelines set forth by IPMS/USA. Entries will be judged using the following criteria: basic construction, overall finish, overall accuracy, additional detailing, and degree of difficulty. Scratchbuilt details will be favored over commercially available detail if quality is comparable. A great amount of added detail will not make up for poor basic construction. A copy of the IPMS/USA Competition Handbook can be found HERE.
3. In Aircraft categories: 1/100 refers to scales 1/87 and smaller; 1/72 refers to scales 1/86 to 1/60; 1/48 refers to scales 1/59 to 1/40; 1/32 refers to scales 1/39 and larger.
4. In Military Vehicle categories: 1/72 refers to scales 1/100 to 1/60; 1/48 refers to scales 1/59 to 1/36; 1/35 refers to scales 1/35 and larger.
5. In Figure categories: 1/32 and 1/35 figures will compete as 54mm
6. Jet aircraft categories include manned, rocket powered vehicles such as the Me-163, X-1, X-15, etc.
7. If a model is qualified for more than one category, the Registrars shall assist in determining which category the model should be entered. In the event of questionable placement, the Head Judge’s decision will be final.
8. The Contest Director may decline to accept an entry with subject matter that may be considered lewd, offensive, or in poor taste by the general public.
9. Contest categories may be expanded or combined, at the discretion of the head judge, based on the number of entries in a given category.
10. Bases: A simple base and the primary crew figures will be allowed with an entry, however the addition of any other figures and equipment outside, or not attached to the model (e.g. support equipment, foliage, shell splashes or buildings) will make the model a Diorama, which then shall be entered into the proper Diorama category. A scene of action will be considered a diorama. Bases and figures will not be judged in non-diorama categories. Max entry/base size is 900 sq in (30” x 30”).
11. Dioramas are defined as scenes telling a story, containing figures and vehicles (aircraft, tanks, ships, cars and trucks)
12. Out of the Box: To be considered out of the box a model must constructed solely from the contents of the kit, with the exception of finishes or decals. Weathering, filling seams and mold flaws, adding simple seat belts, and antenna/rigging are allowed. Gun barrels, vents and door handles may be drilled out as well. No cutting separating/opening of hatches, control surfaces, canopies, or doors is permitted. The use of aftermarket accessories (except decals) will be cause for disqualification from the Out-of-Box category. Instructions MUST accompany the model and entry form.
13. A “Conversion” entry must contain significant structural changes to the basic kit involving extensive changes in contour or configuration, such work having been accomplished by the modeler. Entries using aftermarket parts as the MAJORITY of the conversion will be placed in the appropriate regular category.
14. A Scratchbuilt entry may incorporate minor parts from other kits (wheels, guns, ordnance, etc.), but the majority of the main subject should not be from commercially manufactured kits.
15. All dust covers MUST be removed prior to judging. Models with dust covers on will not be considered when judging.
16. NO SWEEPS ALLOWED. A modeler will be awarded the single highest award in a particular category.
17. Models that have placed 3rd (bronze) or better in any IPMS National or Regional contest or at a previous IPMS Roscoe Turner Model Contest are not eligible for competition.
18. Interference with the Judges during the judging process may result in an entrant’s immediate disqualification.
19. The judges’ decisions are final.
20. IPMS Roscoe Turner reserves the right to make changes to the contest categories as necessary.
21. The IPMS Roscoe Turner Chapter, its members, agents or officers assume no liability or responsibility in case of accidents involving attendees, equipment, merchandise, models, displays or for property lost, stolen or damaged during the show.